The property was purchased by the Carmelite Order in 1959 with the intention of establishing a monastery on the site. Fortunately, the Nuns realised the historical value of Ormiston House and built the monastery to the northern side. Initial work on the restoration of the House and property was commenced by volunteers in 1965, and in 1967 a voluntary group, the Ormiston House Restoration Association was formed with the object to restore the house and gardens.
This group became the Ormiston House Friends and Advisers Committee in 1992, and it is continuing the maintenance and restoration work on the estate with the aim to celebrate the history of Ormiston House. A dedicated team of volunteers perform maintenance work, conduct guided tours, contribute to special events, serve Devonshire Teas on Sunday afternoons, and conduct many other tasks to raise vital funds for the ongoing restoration and maintenance effort.
Over more than fifty years, the rooms have been restored as funds allowed, and furnished to reflect the period. The drapes are of the period 1860, furniture and antiques from Georgian, William 4th through to Victorian. Some Hope items remain; Mrs Hope’s tea kettle, Capt. Hope’s brass telescope, cutlery with the Hope Crest, and ‘White Stockings’, the beloved rocking horse belonging to the Hope children.
The last room to be restored was the Macartney Room. Through the generosity of the late William Lingard, who bequeathed his furniture to Ormiston house, this room is dedicated to the memory of the Macartney Family.