Capt. Hope (1817-1894), grazier, sugar planter and miller, was the seventh son of John Hope, fourth Earl of Hopetoun. A Captain in the Coldstream Guards, he came to New South Wales in 1843, moving north to Moreton Bay in 1848 to settle at Kilcoy.
There was no doubt that Hope was a man of vision with the stout heart of a pioneer, as he settled to farming and grazing cattle on the rich land in that area. In approximately 1853, he purchased 110 acres of land, which would eventually become the Ormiston property. It was said that the property was named after Ormiston Hall in Scotland.
In 1859 he married Susan Frances Sophia Dumaresque, and they had 8 children. The first section of Ormiston House was completed by 1862, and the entire House was completed by 1864-1865. Captain Hope also entered the Queensland Parliament as a member of the Legislative Council in 1862, where he served for twenty years.
A small wooden chapel was constructed on the estate in 1868, which was given to the Anglican Church in 1882. The church is now known as St. Andrew’s Church, and regular services are held at the Church.
Louis Hope earned the title of “The Father of the Commercial Sugar Industry” not only for growing and milling the first commercially produced sugar, but for his sterling efforts to foster the industry in Queensland.
The Hope family lived at Ormiston for some years. Louis Hope returned to England with his family in 1882, where he lived in Derbyshire until his death in Switzerland in 1894 aged 77 years. Mrs Hope died in 1901.
In 1901, Louis Hope’s great-nephew, John Adrian Louis Hope, the first Marquis of Linlithgow and the seventh Earl of Hopetoun, was appointed the first Governor-General of Australia.